Have you been looking for an opportunity to study in the UK? Then the Chevening Scholarship is an opportunity you might be interested in. Applications for the 2024/2025 session will open in September 2023.
As more people seek scholarships as a means to further their education in the international space, opportunities like the Chevening scholarships have become more popular. This article serves as a guide to the Chevening Scholarship, providing you with what you should know about it.
What is the Chevening scholarship?
The Chevening Scholarship was named after Chevening House in Kent, England, and has evolved over the years into a prestigious program designed to create positive changes worldwide. It was initially launched as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Awards Scheme (now known as the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office – FCDO), a program aimed at supporting students from developing countries to pursue postgraduate studies in the United Kingdom. Over time, it has transformed into the Chevening Scholarship, gaining recognition as a prominent avenue for nurturing future leaders and change-makers.
It was established by the UK government in 1983. The Chevening Scholarship has provided countless individuals with the means to further their education, develop leadership skills, and foster international networks.
Eligibility criteria for the Chevening scholarship
- Academic excellence: Applicants are expected to hold an undergraduate degree that meets the minimum requirements for entry into a postgraduate program in the UK.
- Work experience: A significant amount of work experience, usually two years or more, is often required to demonstrate the applicant’s leadership potential and commitment to their chosen field.
- Language proficiency: As the scholarship is awarded for UK studies, a strong English language command is essential. Most often, a standardized English language test, such as the IELTS or TOEFL, is required.
- Leadership and networking: Chevening seeks individuals who possess strong leadership qualities and demonstrate a desire to engage in global networks, fostering international collaboration and cross-cultural understanding.
- Commitment to return: Recipients of the scholarship are generally expected to return to their home countries upon completion of their studies and contribute to developing their communities and nations.
How to apply for the Chevening scholarship
- Conduct research: As a prospective applicant, you should thoroughly research the available courses at UK universities and identify the programs that align with your academic and career aspirations.
- Apply online: The initial application is submitted through the official Chevening Scholarship website. This involves providing personal information, academic background, and work experience and writing key essays that highlight your goals and potential contributions.
- Secure references: You also need to secure two reference letters from people who can attest to your qualifications, character, and potential for leadership.
- Prepare for interview: Shortlisted candidates are invited for an interview, either in person or virtually. The interview serves as an opportunity for you to further elaborate on your ambitions and how suitable you are for the scholarship.
- Wait for offer & acceptance: Successful candidates receive a formal offer to pursue their chosen UK study course. Upon acceptance, they become Chevening Scholars and embark on their academic journey.
- Tips for Writing a Winning Statement of Purpose
- Scholarships to Study Medicine in the UK for International Students
Benefits of the Chevening Scholarship
- Tuition fees: The scholarship covers full or partial tuition for the chosen postgraduate program.
- Living allowance: Recipients receive a monthly stipend to cover living expenses during their stay in the UK.
- Travel allowance: An allowance for one return airfare to the UK is provided, ensuring scholars can make their way to their chosen university.
- Networking opportunities: Chevening offers access to an extensive global network of scholars, alumni, and professionals, fostering cross-cultural connections and collaboration.
- Exclusive events: Scholars can attend various events, workshops, and seminars, enriching their academic experience and enhancing their leadership skills.
Is Nigeria eligible for the Chevening Scholarship?
Yes, Nigeria is eligible for the Chevening Scholarship. Nigerian students and professionals can apply for this prestigious scholarship to pursue postgraduate studies in the United Kingdom, provided they meet the program’s eligibility criteria and requirements.
Does the Chevening Scholarship cover undergraduate studies?
No, the Chevening Scholarship does not cover undergraduate studies. It exclusively funds postgraduate studies at universities in the United Kingdom for individuals who meet the scholarship’s eligibility criteria and demonstrate leadership potential.
Can you apply for Chevening without IELTS?
Yes, you can apply for Chevening without IELTS. While proficiency in the English language is a requirement, the Chevening program accepts a variety of English language tests, not just IELTS, as proof of language ability. Applicants can submit scores from tests such as TOEFL, PTE Academic, Cambridge English exams, etc., as long as they meet Chevening’s required language proficiency levels.
The Chevening Scholarship application for 2024 will open soon. It is not too early to start getting ready for it if it’s an opportunity you’re interested in. Do your research and ask questions. Currently, several webinars are going on online to teach people what they need to know to apply. Like any other application, put your best foot forward and hope for the best.