Being the awardee of an international scholarship comes with a lot of benefits. From having a chance to relocate to another country, to getting better job opportunities and a lot more, the benefits of international scholarships are innumerable. These international scholarships change most people’s lives and I wonder if anyone will let the opportunity of an international scholarship for graduate studies pass them by.
For most Nigerians, the Dollar exchange rate is very high. When you calculate the amount needed to fund your graduate studies, the calculator presents you with a discouraging figure. At this point, some people give up on the plans to begin graduate studies. However, international scholarships have rescued them. It makes graduate studies possible and saves them a lot of money.
Types of International Scholarships
Prospective students seeking international scholarships for graduate studies must understand that there are two types of scholarships. Both come with different benefits, criteria and processes, but they are helpful to anyone that receives them.
The first type of scholarship is the Fully Funded Scholarship and the second is the Partially Funded Scholarship.
Fully funded scholarships cover all the expenses associated with attending college or university, including tuition fees, books, and other educational expenses. While the partially funded scholarships are scholarships where the sponsor covers only a part of the school expenses. These expenses might include tuition fees, accommodation, textbooks, or other academic-related costs. The remaining costs are the responsibility of the student.
Benefits of International Scholarships for Graduate Studies
- These scholarships often cover tuition fees, travel costs, accommodation expenses, and related expenditures, either completely or partially.
- It affords students the chance to learn about various cultures and get valuable international experience.
- By reducing the financial burden associated with graduate studies, students can concentrate on their academic pursuits. This often results in improved academic performance, personal growth and development.
- Scholarship-sponsored students are often seen as tenacious people. They stand out in the job market as they demonstrate commitment and dedication to excellence, just like they do with their academic pursuits.
Challenges of Applying to International Scholarships
Although scholarships are beneficial, they are highly competitive and challenging to obtain for several reasons. These reasons include:
- Numerous individuals frequently search for international scholarships to pursue their graduate studies; however, only a few applicants are selected for these awards. The competition for scholarships is fierce, with many students applying for them every year.
- International scholarships typically have rigorous requirements and are granted to students who have exhibited outstanding academic accomplishments, leadership skills, community engagement, or other exceptional qualities. Fulfilling the eligibility criteria for these scholarships demands a significant amount of hard work.
- Scholarship sponsors have high expectations of their awardees, requiring them to meet a certain level of qualification. Recipients are expected to uphold a specific grade point average and engage in designated activities such as volunteering, internships, and community service during school.
- The process of applying for scholarships is prolonged and demands a significant amount of time. Prospective awardees are often obliged to draft essays, such as a statement of purpose, a personal statement, or a letter of motivation, and furnish supporting documents, such as transcripts and letters of recommendation, along with fulfilling other application requirements. Read about Tips for Writing a Winning Statement of Purpose here.
- The application window for some scholarships is typically brief, leaving little time for candidates to apply. As a result, a majority of individuals find it challenging to submit their applications within the given timeframe.
Ten International Scholarships for 2023 Graduate Studies
The challenges notwithstanding, you can still get an international scholarship for your graduate studies. Here are ten international scholarships for graduate studies that you can apply for in 2023:
1. President’s Scholarship at The Imperial College London
The President’s PhD Scholarship is bestowed by Imperial College London to exceptional undergraduate and graduate students, offering complete coverage of tuition fees, and the chance to pursue a research project of their preference, mentored by a supervisor.
Applications for the scholarship are open to candidates from all nations, with a deadline of May 2023. Learn more about the President’s Scholarship here.
2. Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Scholarships
It is open to students from any tion. The deadline to apply is March 2023. Reed more about the Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Scholarships here.
3. Commonwealth Shared Scholarship
It is offered by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission and is open to applicants from Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritius, Montserrat, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria and other countries. The deadline to apply is March 2023. Learn more about the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships here.
4. Australia Awards Scholarships
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Australia, administers the Australia Awards Scholarships, which are intended to address the development requirements of Australia’s partner nations per bilateral and regional agreements.
These scholarships offer full-time undergraduate or postgraduate study opportunities to individuals from developing nations, particularly those in the Indo-Pacific region.
The deadline to apply for this scholarship is May 1st 2023. Follow this link to learn more about the Australia Awards Scholarships.
5. Harvard University MBA Scholarship
The Harvard MBA is one of the world’s leading business programmes, taught at one of the world’s most prestigious Universities.
It is granted once in two years for a two-year course at Harvard Business School and is open to candidates from every nation. The deadline to apply is May 2023. Read more about the Harvard University MBA Scholarship here.
6. GREAT Scholarships
GREAT Scholarships offer students from 14 countries the opportunity to have £10,000 towards their tuition fees for a wide range of one-year taught postgraduate courses.
The 2023 programme is launched by the British Council and 49 UK universities. It supports international graduate students accessing world-class UK higher education opportunities from the following countries: India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Thailand, Turkey, and Vietnam.
Each scholarship is jointly funded by the UK government’s GREAT Britain Campaign and the British Council with participating UK higher education institutions. The deadline is May 2023. Learn more about the GREAT Scholarships here.
7. Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are aimed at young international researchers who want to pursue graduate studies.
Each year the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and over 180 other countries, Nigeria inclusive. The awarding body, Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS) selects the recipients of this scholarship.
The deadline to apply is November 2023. Visit the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship website for more information.
8. The Ignacy Lukasiewicz Scholarship Programme – Poland
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange have collaborated on a joint initiative known as the Ignacy Łukasiewicz Scholarship Programme, which is part of the Polish Development Assistance framework.
The programme is named after Ignacy Łukasiewicz, a celebrated Polish inventor, pharmacist, oil industry pioneer, and the inventor of the kerosene lamp.
The primary objective of the programme is to enhance the knowledge and education of citizens in developing countries like: Angola, Colombia, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Lebanon, Mexico, Myanmar, Nigeria and others. The closing date for this scholarship is May 2023. Find out more about The Ignacy Lukasiewicz Scholarship Programme here.
9. The Helmut-Schmidt-Programme
The Helmut-Schmidt-Programme was implemented to support the development of good governance and civil society structures in developing and emerging nations. This programme provides prospective leaders with master’s courses in fields that are particularly pertinent to social, political, and economic progress.
It equips them with practical skills for assuming responsible roles in their home regions and promotes the establishment of democratic economic and social models that aim to mitigate social disparities.
Application is open to citizens of developing countries and it closes in July 2023. Read more about the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme here.
10. Orange Knowledge Programme
The Orange Knowledge Programme (OKP) offers scholarships funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs available to citizens of countries including Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Mali, Mozambique, Niger and Nigeria.
Application for this scholarship closes in September 2023. Visit the Orange Knowledge Programme website for more information.
Even though the scholarship application process is demanding and time-consuming, the benefits far outweigh the challenges. Why not give it a try today? You have the opportunity to change your life and also enhance your profession. Wishing you good luck with your application.